----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

19 May 2011

self-love

self-love
visual journal


I can tell myself I'm selfless, generous, nurturing, caring, or oh-so-giving. But if I don't love myself first, I have no idea what Love is. What I give, will always be lacking. And I can only attract those who see what I see of me. My self-love is the template for all other loves.


Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other’s welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

Derek Walcott


Have you learnt to love your self?

8 comments:

  1. I'm actually still working on it. I think for the most part I love my self, but not my body. We still fight. I'm trying to make peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words. I have definitely learnt to love myself...I believe that this is a true MUST DO in life. By doing so, your life is so much richer {and therefore more fulfilling} in all other aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes....i do believe i have, for the most part. we still grumble at one another....;)

    but i've found great peace when i allow myself to just 'be' instead of constantly battling the two very different sides of myself...agreeing to disagree, perhaps?

    xp

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a long journey for me Brand.

    Brynn, it affects everything doesn't it?

    lol @ mel, the basis for many relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that was such a good poem/quote thing -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words are true and this journal page is stunning - I LOVE it!! Great colors, great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've realized this only in my last few years. first i had to see myself. then i had to reject myself. and then acceptance. love has become something new, not mythological, but a sister to acceptance. it does not involve only beauty but thankfully, beauty exists as a consequence of acceptance. it's all a very complicated thing, isn't it?

    wonderful post.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'The time will come
    when, with elation
    you will greet yourself arriving
    at your own door, in your own mirror
    and each will smile at the other’s welcome,...'

    ah yea..the smilings a breakthrough. still get a bit of nit picking going on though :/

    ReplyDelete