----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

10 May 2011

Coconut Flour Pancakes

Part of my slowing down, simplifying, de-cluttering my mind, life, is to have a leisurely breakfast often. Whether it's brewing some chai or cooking the edibles, it's about lingering and breathing.

I enjoy pancakes but never eat them. The thought of flour and sugar as a way to start the day just sends me running. But gluten-free, low-carb, not-flour flours came to the rescue.


Makes 6, 3" pancakes. Small but filling.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt (optional)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1-2 Tablespoon sugar (ordinary or equivalent in sweetener)
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Method:
  1. Mix wet ingredients, beginning by beating eggs until frothy.
  2. Mix dry ingredients and then stir through wet ingredients.
  3. Let everything sit for five minutes. (for coconut to hydrate)

Oil/butter your pan and heat over medium heat.
Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, allow the bottom to brown before flipping them over.

Adapted from Bruce Fife's Cooking with Coconut Flour.

The whole batch amounts to approximately:
9 g net carbs

Notes:
I use liquid sucralose, which has zero carbs. You can crush some Splenda tablets or use the higher carb granular Splenda.
Coconut flours vary quite a bit in their carb count, do check.





I ate a few of these topped simply with butter, with a hot mug of cinnamon chai, and melted into my day.....

7 comments:

  1. OMG those look delicious!!!
    I wish i was a good cooker :/
    Hey flower, I have another giveaway coming soon.. stay tuned!

    Peace & Love
    www.foreverboho.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't generally like coconut, but I DO like homemade pancakes! I like pancakes that include rolled oats in the recipe, as they are more filling, too. But mine never come out as fluffy or uniformly golden-colored as I'd like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they don't really taste of coconut though. weird i know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these sounds extra yum, love anything with coconut ....and butter on top!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious...I feel so weighed down by the normal pancake so maybe this would be the perfect alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baked with a number of gluten-free flours, and have never been really satisfied with the taste. Coconut flour is one I haven't tried, so I am anxious now to see if this works for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked with coconut flour before, but I'd really like to try. I've tried several 'coconut milk' products/dishes, and love the flavor. I'm not a huge pancake person for the reasons that you mentioned, but these would be a great [alternative] way to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete