----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

24 Mar 2011

His Girl Friday

Mr Grant is my all time favourite actor. He never fails to put a smile on my face. Either from his easy, carefree style, or his slapstick mannerisms.

In His Girl Friday (1940), Grant (editor Walter Burns) is paired with Rosalind Russell (ace reporter Hildy Johnson). Together they explode with brilliant comic timing in this breakneck-speed newspaper farce. Russell totally matches Grant shot for shot.



A strange choice of poster design for the first, as it doesn't reflect the film one iota. 
The second makes it seem more of a mockery than a comedy.



It's interesting to think that the original play had 'Hildy' as a man. The male Hildebrand was changed to Russell's Hildegard. So it went from a satire on the workings of a newsroom, to the fabulous duel of wits between a man and a woman, within the workings of a newsroom.



The fast speech and over-lapping dialogue make this one of the funniest films, but also one of the best depictions of the news-reporting world.

5 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it a perfect piece of acting and directing. But it's just plain fun too isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this film! Cary Grant was my first big crush (at age 7). Made me go weak at the knees...hhehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cary Grant too! I remember watching this movie a long time ago and being so impressed by the wit and wordplay. One of my Grant favourites is Bringing Up Baby which I'm sure, being a Grant fan yourself, you must have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes, a great one too. i think my fave Grant film is Arsenic and Old Lace.

    ReplyDelete