----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

20 Feb 2011

The Booklovers Project

Lists to encourage an ego-filled ticking off of items doesn't appeal. But one that encourages a reader to give otherwise neglected (by oneself) authors a shot, does.

Those I've read are stricken through. I've enjoyed almost all of them.
Those italicised don't appeal at all.

  1. Aphra Benn
  2. Cervantes
  3. Daniel Defoe
  4. Samuel Richardson
  5. Henry Fielding
  6. Lawrence Sterne
  7. Mary Wolstencraft
  8. Jane Austen
  9. Sir Walter Scott
  10. Leo Tolstoy
  11. Honore de Balzac
  12. Edgar Allen Poe
  13. Charlotte Bronte
  14. Emily Bronte
  15. Anne Bronte
  16. Nikolai Gogol
  17. Gustave Flaubert
  18. William Makepeace Thackeray
  19. Nathaniel Hawthorne
  20. Herman Melville
  21. Charles Dickens
  22. Anthony Trollope
  23. Fyodor Dostoevsky
  24. Mark Twain
  25. George Eliot
  26. Emile Zola
  27. Henry James
  28. Thomas Hardy
  29. Joseph Conrad
  30. Katherine Mansfield
  31. Edith Wharton
  32. DH Lawrence
  33. EM Forster
  34. James Joyce
  35. Virginia Woolf
  36. Marcel Proust
  37. F Scott Fitzgerald
  38. Ernest Hemingway
  39. Hermann Hesse
  40. Evelyn Waugh
  41. William Faulkner
  42. Anais Nin
  43. Ford Maddox Ford
  44. Jean-Paul Sartre
  45. Simone de Beauvoir
  46. Albert Camus
  47. Franz Kafka
  48. Thomas Mann
  49. Graham Greene
  50. Jack Kerouac
  51. William S Burroughs
  52. Kingsley Amis
  53. Doris Lessing
  54. Vladimir Nabokov
  55. William Golding
  56. JG Ballard
  57. Richard Brautigan
  58. Milan Kundera
  59. Ivy Compton-Burnett
  60. Paul Theroux
  61. Gunter Grass
  62. Gore Vidal
  63. John Updike
  64. Kazuo Ishiguro
  65. Malcolm Bradbury
  66. Iain Banks
  67. AS Byatt
  68. Martin Amis
  69. Brett Easton Ellis
  70. Umberto Eco
  71. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  72. Roddy Doyle
  73. Salman Rushdie
And I must listen to that song at some point too.

9 comments:

  1. I need to get a post about this up, and listen to the song! Thanks for visiting my blog!i'm now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you've read a lot off this list! A lot of your italicized ones are ones that don't appeal to me either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of your italicized authors, Paul Theroux would be one that I definitely want to read. I like travel writing and he's one of the major names in that genre. But I'm ambivalent about the others you've italicized.

    I read The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott last year and was surprised by how lively, and even funny it was at times. I think I will read more by him for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm embarrassed that I've only read (11) of these authors, but I do own books by several others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite impressive, Monica! I have read just 22 authors from that list. You haven't read Ernest Hemingway? Really? Do try one of his short stories, if you are a short story person. He is wonderful and is one of my favourite authors. The most impressive 'strike' is item no.36 - Marcel Proust. Amazing and really impressive! I am hoping to read Proust's magnum opus one day. How did you like 'In Search of Lost Time'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know! Just never got around to Hemingway... too busy reading Proust. chuckle
    I haven't finished them yet. Read the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems to be catching on a lot! I don't even know some of those authors, I admit. And some (like Herman Melville) don't appeal much to me, either. But it would be fun to get all the references!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The song is wonderful, and Amanda's idea is such a great one! I'm only at 32 authors read at the moment, but I'd love to join in once I clear some of my other reading commitments out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are enjoying reading Proust. I am hoping to start with 'Swann's Way' this year and see how it goes.

    I listened to that song and it is awesome! I have sent it to all my friends :) Thanks for mentioning it and posting the link to it!

    ReplyDelete