----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

26 May 2011

{see} boho films: The Dreamers



A film about students, in Paris, where three languages are used throughout, that was co-produced by French, Italian and British companies.... they talk of film, politics, intimate experiences and smoke long cigarettes...... if you can get more bohemian than that, let me know.


The main guy, an American student, gets involved with a brother and sister (children of a poet), who drag him into a hedonistic and sexual whirlwind, and a life in separation from the reality outside their bubble.

It was controversial, especially in the States, because there's implied incest, nudity, and plenty of sex.

It's based on Gilbert Adair's novel The Holy Innocents, who also wrote the screenplay. I read somewhere that DiCaprio was offered the main role but turned it down because he was in production.


The film has many references to other films so it's fun to try to spot them.


Not Bertolucci's (Last Tango in Paris, The Last Emperor) most successful attempt. I think he spends too long trying to shock us than to intrigue us. The elements don't pull together well, especially the cultural realities going on outside, but the acting is surprisingly good, Bertolucci's artistic mark is evident, and it's a film-buffs dream.

Do you like such intimate films?

13 comments:

  1. How on earth did that film escape me?!! I enjoy these types of films. In my opinion, student life is always fun to watch, especially if the conversations are political, philosophical, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one! caught it on dvd and thought myself that it didn't quite pull it off - was a bit pretentious. Or, that's possibly the wrong word...Bertolucci is so blindly enamoured by youthful beauty he kind of disappears up it's *ahem*.
    And yeah, the Paris '68 stuff was annoyingly off-key.

    But it was kinda diverting, and at least wants to engage with ideas and the Bohemian ethos. Which is why I remember watching it in the first place : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´ve watched this film a long time ago, and the scenes always fascinated me!! thanks for reminding me of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think that's totally up my alley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see this one. Seems like my kind of movie!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like anything that pushes at my perimeters and causes me to either think or feel or grow. a raw investigation into sexuality and passion (two distinct elements, i believe) is always welcome. here we have this venue to explore and north america plugs away at dulling the senses in the entertainment field (usually). it seems to me films that go beyond are too often only titillating. however, give me a film to think, feel and grow and i am in love.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I do remember this film. I too felt like he was going after the shock value, which often doesnt interest me. It was too bad though, it had a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice to see others who have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't watch too many films like this (I don't watch many films at all), but I'm really curious about this movie and would love to see it. I'll have to find out how I can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really sounds interesting - I´ll try to see it if I get the chance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love intimate films and really liked the movie. Louis Garrel is amazing, I adore him.

    Camila F.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like an awesome film, Monica! Thanks for writing about it. Do you read graphic novels? There is one called the 'Berlin' series by Jason Lutes. The first volume is called 'Berlin : City of Stones' and the second volume is called 'Berlin : City of Smoke'. In some ways this movie reminds me of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This film is great. I especially loved the accurate parallel between cinema (a screen/filter apposed on reality) and the fact that these young persons spend their time dreaming about life without living it. In this revolutionary time, they fantasize about the revolution but never involve themselves in it.

    ReplyDelete