----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

22 Apr 2009

Corner View - breakfast

So I stumbled across a blog that is all about living in my Madre Terra. And as you know I love travel and am an expat and love connecting to the global community. Well, it's given me a good excuse for a fun post today. The idea is to share a photo about your corner of the world. Today's theme is breakfast.
My breakfast consists of toast and coffee or porridge during the cold season, and usually muesli with cold milk during the warmer ones. I know, not very exciting. Despite my love of cooking, despite that I'm hungry and ready for brekkie, I like it simple.



But over here in Montenegro (on the coast anyway), the common breakfast is drinking yoghurt and burek - a meat or cheese filled light pastry, formed into a swirl or a round. It comes from Albania I believe. Everyone from builders to school children grab this combination from a local bakery on their way to start the day.

Other participants:
jane, ladybug-zen, ian, bonnie,esti, sophie, cele, modsquad,caitlin, joyce, ani, couturecoucou, kim, a day that is dessert, natsumi, epe, kaylovesvintage, trinsch, c.t.,
jeannette, outi, schanett, ritva, dongdong, francesca,state of bliss, jennifer, dana, denise, cabrizette, bohemia girl, ruth, dianna,
isabelle, amber, a girl in the yellow shoes, mister e, janis, kari, jgy,
jenna, skymring, elizabeth, audrey, allison

18 comments:

  1. wow, really? Meat or cheese and pastry for breakfast? I can't even imagine it. Two pieces of toast and a cup of tea, *that's* a proper breakfast. ;-) Aren't they all dreadfully unhealthy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mon. Thanks for visiting! I´ll add you to next week´s list! Great post! Cheers!-Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Montenegro three summers ago: such a beautiful country. I remember burek - that's a legacy from the Ottoman Turks.

    PS I've added you to my list of links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I should have added that for the adults, include a cigarrette with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so interesting how different cultures perceive what is proper breakfast food. before moving to japan i probably never would have eaten fish with rice and warm miso soup, but during the winter months it such a wonderful way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious yoghurt and Burek......,but for Lunch though ;-)! Thanks the for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this idea of sharing snippets of daily life from around the world. Looking forward to more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good to me, I am not a big fan of 'proper' breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this idea! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fascinating how breakfast varies so much between cultures. When I was in Denmark bread with strong Danish cheese AND jam was popular - before I tried it I thought yuk - cheese with jam! - but it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It actually all sounds really interesting and in all my travels around the world I find that I love eating the local breakfasts. I'm always up for something new. I think in Utah people might give me strange looks if I tried to order burek though :)

    Thanks for sharing your corner breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheese and jam *drool* now Rebecca's done it! Still can't get hubby to try it lol. Not sure I would go for the burek myself, looks a bit too heavy/ greasy for morning. Mind you, not sure what the restr of the world would think of the British fry up either!

    Great photo challenge though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks sooooo delish! do you have a recipe for the burek? don't worry, you don't have to cook it, but i might if you'd consider (gently) harassing a local out of their recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks exactly like the israeli borekkas. and considering the name and that ian mentioned it's an ottoman thing, i believe it's the same, as israel/palestine also used to be a part of the ottoman empire.

    you can get it here with all kinds of fillings: egg, cheese, mashed potatoes, mushrooms, spinach etc. no really any with meat, which i guess is for kosher reasons.

    rebecca: oh yes, cheese and jam are meant for eachother! in denmark it's mainly sliced cheese, but take a good fat cream cheese and add jam: it's like eating cheesecake :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your filled pastry looks so good! Enjoy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that looks so yummy!! Great photos on your site!

    ReplyDelete