----------- soulful transformation through the stars. -----------

3 Dec 2008

{see} red lippy

I dislike red lipstick. Not on others, just on me. Partly because it does not suit me At. All. and partly because I prefer not to stand out, most of the time....

But what I do like about red lipstick is the look it gave the classic stars of B&W films. That might be in part to liking high contrast photography. You can see nowadays that when a singer or actress wants to emulate that particular era, she goes for the red lippy. Think Madonna and Gwen Stefani.

 

I used to wonder whether the red lippy was a product of B&W film and the desire for prominant starlet lips, or whether the fashion of the time simply suited film. You know, chicken or egg.

 



Of course, being me, I also recall when the look wasn't associated with glamour. Leave it to my fave Bette to ensure there are other classic images with red lippy.



And when we move into colour flicks, there's nothing like smeared red lippy to conjure images and fears of spilt blood.

For others slashed in red this week head to Theme Thursday.

11 comments:

  1. intriguing what that dash of red can conjure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...Bette. What a babe. And I just adore What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

    And, well, I am unashamedly enamoured with red lippy. And as the ads above show, there's a red for everyone, (even for us introverted gals). Especially with a vintage hairdo, a killer frock and a night of dancing, with tequila. I fancy myself as Rita or Veronica. But in truth, by the end of the night, I tend more and more to resemble La Davis as pictured above at her window. S'all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I know someone who looks exactly like that shot of Bette Davis. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look bad in red lipstick, too, but it certainly looked great on these ladies, whether the effect was supposed to be for good or ill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a great unique take on the thmeme. i lvoe this adn you are so right about lipstick when smeared--think of the Joker! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, the Joker, excellent example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love all those old movies too. The only time i ever got lipstick on me was when my grandma kissed my cheek. I don't think my wife has ever worn the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not crazy about myself in red lipstick. actually, i'm not crazy about me in any kind of makeup

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only the brazen can wear red lipstick and red shoes. It's such an 'out there' statement and frankly doesn't suit many. I'm more of your lip glossy kind rather than making a big splash with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE those old movies stars and their lipstick! "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"....one of my fav. movies of that era! Bette Davis AND Joan Crawford ....doesn't get much better!!
    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete